10 Instagram Facts That Every Marketer Must Know – Nutshell school
- There are currently 800 million users on Instagram, and almost 80% of Instagram accounts are personal. However, the number of Business Accounts are rapidly increasing
- The largest segment of Instagram users are aged between 18 to 24. The split between male and female users is pretty equal, with female users forming a slight majority
- 51% of Instagram users access the platform at least once per day
- Over 300 million people use Instagram Stories every day, with a third of the most viewed Stories coming from businesses
- Over 80% of accounts on Instagram follow a business, but two-thirds of profile visits to businesses come from people who aren’t following that business
- The ad industry is BOOMING on Instagram. There are over 2 million monthly advertisers on the platform and the number continues to grow
- A typical Instagram user has 648 followers and is following 359 accounts
- Photos still have a higher engagement rate than videos (58% higher, in fact) when it comes to content in the feed
- The most popular day of the week to post is Monday between 4-5pm, but despite what you might have heard, there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the best time to post
- The 3 most used hashtags on Instagram in 2017 were #fashion, #love and #instagood
These are some amazing Instagram Facts
Fast stats for Instagram Facts
These are some important Instagram facts for every marketer
1. Instagram is the second-most downloaded free app in the Apple app store
Only YouTube had more downloads in 2018 (2019 statistics are not yet available). That’s a good indication that Instagram is continuing to attract new users—as verified by the Instagram user statistics you’ll see later in this post.
2. Instagram is the 10th most popular Google query
About half of the top 10 searches are generic terms like weather, news, and videos. But Facebook, Google, YouTube, and Amazon also feature in the top 10, and all ahead of Instagram.
However, since Instagram is not primarily used through a web interface, the app’s high download rank is a more relevant figure.
3. Instagram is currently hiding like counts and video views in 7 countries
Instagram started hiding like counts in Canada in April, and in six more countries in July.
Those countries are:
- New Zealand
However, that doesn’t mean that Likes no longer matter. In fact, since 41% of Canadian content creators said engagement dropped after like counts were hidden, it means it’s more important than ever to create powerful Instagram content that inspires engagement.
4. 1 billion people use Instagram every month
That makes Instagram the second-ranked traditional social network in terms of active users, behind Facebook. When considering all social platforms, Instagram ranks fifth – behind Facebook, YouTube, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, and WeChat.
5. 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day
In the three years since its launch, Stories has become a huge part of what makes Instagram so popular.
With half a billion people using Stories every single day, it’s clear that Stories are an important channel for brands. (You’ll find more Instagram Stories stats throughout this piece that further emphasize this point.)
6. 89% of users are outside the U.S.
Of Instagram’s one billion users, only 110 million are located in the United States. Americans are the largest Instagram audience, but they’re very far from the majority. Rounding out the top five countries for Instagram users are:
- Brazil: 70 million users
- India: 69 million users
- Indonesia: 59 million users
- Russia: 40 million users
This is important information when thinking about how to define your target audience on Instagram, and what kind of content to create.
7. Instagram will reach 112.5 million U.S. users in 2020
That’s a 5.4% increase over 2019, as estimated by eMarketer, which also predicts the network will reach 117.2 million U.S. users in 2021.
Sure, we just told you that the U.S. audience represents only 11% of all Instagram users. But it’s still an important audience that’s growing consistently.
8. Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform in Canada
Instagram’s growth numbers in Canada are even more impressive. The social network saw 20.4% growth in Canada in 2018, and 7.3% growth in 2019. eMarketer predicts further growth of 6.1% in Canada, to 12.6 million users, in 2020.
9. The country with the highest Instagram percentage reach is Brunei
Brunei might not have the most Instagram users, but it is the country where Instagram reaches the highest percentage of the population: 60%, to be precise. Compare that to 37% of people in the U.S. (see below).
Rounding out the top five countries with the highest%age reach are:
- Iceland: 57%
- Turkey: 56%
- Sweden: 55%
- Kuwait: 55%
If you’re marketing to people in these countries, Instagram could be an especially effective platform for both organic content and paid Instagram posts.
10. 37% of American adults use Instagram
That’s a slight increase from 35% in 2018. Keep in mind that the%age of people using Instagram varies substantially by age group, as the network is far more popular with younger users:
- 18–29: 67%
- 30–49: 47%
- 50–64: 23%
- 65+: 8%
Again, you’ve got to do your research to determine the age breakdown of your own followers, but these Instagram user statistics provide a good starting point for thinking about your buyer personas.
11. Instagram is the most popular traditional social network among U.S. teens
Only YouTube is more popular with teens, and there’s some debate about whether to classify the video-sharing site as a social network. Seventy-two percent of U.S. teens say they use Instagram, compared to 69% for Snapchat and 51% for Facebook.
However, teens say they use Snapchat more often.
12. The gender mix on Instagram is pretty even: 52% female and 48% male
However, in the U.S., a substantially higher percentage of women (43%) use Instagram than do men (31%).
This discrepancy shows that you can’t make assumptions about demographics on Instagram—or any other social network. And you definitely can’t make assumptions about the demographics of your own followers. Instead, use social media analytics tools to get detailed information about your own audience, for a better content strategy and ad targeting.
You should keep these Instagram Facts in mind Before Promoting your Instagram Business
Watch full video and know more about it.
If you like our video don’t forget to like and subscribe for more stuff
Nutshell School tags- knowledge minute social media instagram story